MacTech Magazine recently published my two-part article titled “Test-Driven Development Using AppleScript”. In the April 2008 issue, part 1 gave an overview of test-driven development techniques using the AppleScript language, then gave a short example of those techniques using the ASUnit testing framework. In the May 2008 issue, the ASUnit framework was used to develop a number guessing game using test-driven development techniques.
Back issues are available from MacTech magazine (issues 24.04 and 24.05). The following are the web links contained within the articles:
Part 1 (April 2008):
- Kent Beck’s work on testing frameworks for SmallTalk
- Junit testing framework for Java
- Directory of testing frameworks for many languages
- ASUnit AppleScript testing framework home page
Part 2 (May 2008):
- Example ASUnit tests for the SafeTerminal application
- Matt Neuberg’s book “AppleScript: The Definitive Guide“
- Article by Charles Ross on object-oriented programming techniques in AppleScript
- Wikipedia page on test-driven development
Finally, I am linking a file of the script listings from the two articles (Stuffit Expander required to expand the scripts).